The MWMPA is proud to offer full scholarships for members to attend various workshops throughout the year. The scholarships are awarded on a mix of need and merit.
- These scholarships are open to all current MWPA members.
- These scholarships are open to writers in all genre.
- There is no fee to apply.
- Applying for a scholarship does NOT reserve a spot in a workshop; if scholarship applicants want to ensure a spot in a workshop regardless of whether or not they win a scholarship, they must register and pay for the workshop in tandem with their scholarship application (if a scholarship is awarded and you’ve paid, you will be immediately refunded). If you are only able to attend a workshop if you win a scholarship, you do NOT need to pre-register or pre-pay, you only need to submit your application.
- Please make sure to follow the submission instructions carefully. Incomplete or late applications can not be considered.
- Previous scholarship winners must wait six months after receiving a scholarship before applying again.
- The MWPA is not able to provide feedback on scholarship applications that aren’t granted.
- Deadlines for scholarships fall throughout the year.
- Visit our workshop listings page for more information.
Please read carefully. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Your submission will consist of a brief application form, a statement of intent/need (up to 500-words), and a work sample.
- No email or mail submissions will be accepted.
- Submissions must be made via Submittable.
- Receipt of applications will be confirmed via email.
- Winners will be notified as quickly as possible after the deadline; please allow at least two weeks.
- Please refrain from repeated inquiries as to when winners will be notified.
All scholarship winners are required to submit a one-page report within two weeks of the workshop. The report should describe how the scholar benefited from the experience, and particularly how it helped to advance the scholar’s writing, career or literary aspirations. Excerpts from these reports may be used by the Maine Writers & Publishers Alliance publicizing the scholarships.
Questions about the scholarships may be directed to MWPA executive director Joshua Bodwell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-228-8264.