The MWPA is currently looking for a fall or academic year intern to commit to 8-15 hours per week starting the second week of September through mid-December, or a later date TBD based on the intern’s availability. Interns provide both general office and specific project support. There will be some continuity in tasks, but interns should be prepared to be flexible. Candidates who are enthusiastic about the literary arts and eager to pitch in with day-to-day operations at a small nonprofit will be the best fit for this position. The intern will report directly to the Projects & Programs Coordinator. Internships are unpaid; perks include occasional free books and lunches, the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge of the Maine literary world and make connections, and the heartfelt gratitude of MWPA’s staff and members.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Answering the telephone, greeting and assisting visitors
- Maintaining membership database
- Updating Find Maine Writers website
- Compiling monthly Ex Libris Maine newsletter
- Providing support for special events
- Assisting with production of various projects and events
- Compiling and organizing materials
- Researching and writing articles and other general materials
- Copy editing website and other materials
- Posting on Instagram or other social media
- Other projects, as assigned
Desired Skills & Qualities:
- MS Word and Excel proficiency; strong general computer skills
- Pleasant phone manner, flexibility with daily tasks, and ability to multi-task
- Highly detail-oriented and self-motivated; able to work independently.
- Interest in the literary arts in general, as well as interest in learning more specifically about Maine’s literary community
Please send a resume, a brief cover letter outlining your interest in the position and why you would be a good fit, and three references to Hannah Perry at firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 AM on August 23. Please include all materials in a single document: .doc, .docx , or .pdf file. Interviews will be scheduled during the last two weeks of August.