Collaborate with Internationally Bestselling & Award-winning
Author Lisa Gardner
“He knew he was in trouble when he walked into the bar and his only choice for seating was either a stool beside a thick-necked biker with flaming skull tats or a spot next to a gum-smacking blond with an even more dangerous glint in her eyes.”
That’s your opening line. And it’s a gift to you from author Lisa Gardner, whose books have been translated into dozens of languages, sold millions copies, and been adapted into popular films, and on May 31, Gardner will be the recipient of the 2019 CrimeMaster Award for Distinguished Achievement.
The MWPA is thrilled (pun intended) to announce the 2019 CrimeFlash Contest. You’re invited to finish Gardner’s intriguing opening line—written exclusively for this contest—with your own flash fiction of no more than 500-words.
Every entry to the contest must begin with the line: “He knew he was in trouble when he walked into the bar and his only choice for seating was either a stool beside a thick-necked biker with flaming skull tats or a spot next to a gum-smacking blond with an even more dangerous glint in her eyes.” After that, it’s up to you—for a total of no more than 500-words!
★ FIRST PLACE Publication in the Maine Sunday Telegram, plus a full scholarship to attend the 2019 Maine Crime Wave.
★ SECOND PLACE Name announced in the Maine Sunday Telegram, plus a 50% scholarship to attend 2019 Maine Crime Wave.
★ THIRD PLACE Name announced in the Maine Sunday Telegram, plus a 25% scholarship to attend the 2019 Maine Crime Wave.
- The competition is open to all Maine residents.*
- There is no fee to enter.
- Please follow the submission instructions carefully. Incomplete or late applications cannot be considered.
- Submit up to 500-words max (including the opening line, but not your title) as a Word or PDF document via MWPA’s Submittable by clicking HERE.
- Submissions will only be accepted online through Submittable. If you do not have a Submittable account, you will be required to register, which is free and requires only your name and email.
- Your name and contact information should not appear on your submission (which may be a Word doc or PDF).
- Please Note: As the winning entry will be published in the Maine Sunday Telegram, general newspaper standards around cursing, excessive violence, etcetera will be taken into consideration when selecting a winner.
- Deadline April 1, 2019
*Employees of MWPA and MaineToday Media, and their families, are not eligible.