Littoral Books was founded in 1975 by members of the Portland Women’s Group. The press was dedicated to seeking out and publishing the work of Maine women writers, and quickly became one of the founders of the MWPA. With support from the Maine Arts Commission, the press soon published Balancing Act, an anthology of Maine women poets.
Littoral Books is now inviting submissions for its second anthology of poetry by Maine women, Balancing Act 2. Maine women poets of all ages and backgrounds—including students, new Mainers, and previously unpublished poets—are encouraged to submit their work. Payment will be in the form of contributor copies. Every accepted poem will also be eligible for the editor’s prize of $100.
1. All contributors must be year-round residents of Maine.
2. Previously published poems will not be accepted.
3. The submission period begins on September 1 and ends September 30.
4. Each poet may submit three to five poems, the entire submission not to exceed ten pages in length.
5. Work should be formatted as a Word document using twelve point type and Times New Roman font.
6. Please include a short biography (75-100 words).
7. Send submissions via MWPA’s Submittable by clicking HERE.
*Submissions are preferred via Submittable. If you do not have a Submittable account, you will be required to register, which is free and only requires your name and email.
8. To submit your work via mail:
Attention: Balancing Act 2
P.O. Box 4533
Portland ME 04112
Deadline September 30, 2018 (submissions do not open until September 1)