It’s As Easy As 1, 2, 3!
During the blizzard Nemo, when a record 31.9 inches of snow fell on Portland, our fiercely independent local bookstore, Longfellow Books, sustained extensive water damage (read about it here). Thousands of books were damaged or destroyed. When our community heard the news, an outpouring of support followed. A lot of people wanted to help. So the MWPA, working with Longfellow Books and Space Gallery, came up with a plan.
How you can help…
#1 JOIN THE CASH MOB
DATE: Saturday, March 2 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
One of best ways to help Longfellow Books, quite simply, is to buy books from them! But let’s stop and think for a moment, and plan ahead…
- GIFTS. Check your calendar: Will you be purchasing birthday gifts for friends and family in the next six months? Why not buy them all Longfellow Books gift certificates right now and be done with your shopping?
- BOOK CLUB PLEDGE. Are you in a book club? Can you get all your members to pledge that they will buy all their book-club books, for one year, from Longfellow Books? Yes, you can! And if you get your club to take the pledge, and you let us know at the MWPA, we’ll list your club and member’s first names on our website—“Marty, Jamie, Jean, Craig, Nick, and Frank from Greater Portland, meeting since 1997” have already made the pledge!
- TREAT YOURSELF. Didn’t get that book you wanted for the holidays? Have you been saying to yourself, “I’ll get that later”? Well, now you know exactly when “later” will be: March 2 between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
#2 ATTEND THE EVENT
FLOODED: An Outpouring of Literary Conversation in Support of Longfellow Books
Sunday, March 3 at Space Gallery in Portland
Doors at 7:00 p.m. | Event at 7:30 p.m.
*SOLD OUT! Note: Pre-sales have ended for this event. Space Gallery will admit more people at 7:15 p.m. to stand in the back, fitting as many as they can comfortably fit after the ticket holders have had time to come in and claim their seats. More info →
A Conversation on Memoir with Richard Russo & Monica Wood
Moderated by Moira Driscoll
A Conversation on Fiction with Ron Currie Jr. & Bill Roorbach
Moderated by Brock Clarke
If you prefer to simply make a cash donation to Longfellow Books by check or credit card, the MWPA is accepting donations on their behalf. We will be collecting donations UNTIL MARCH 15, 2013, when we will turn over all donations to Longfellow Books in one lump sum. We want to let the staff at Longfellow Books keep doing what they do best: serving our community of readers!
*PLEASE NOTE: This in a non-tax-deductible donation.
To donate online with your credit card, click on the PayPal button below and follow these three easy steps:
- On the PayPal payment page, in the field marked “Enter description,” please type in LONGFELLOW BOOKS. Don’t forget this step!
- In the field below labeled “Item price,” please enter the amount you would like to donate.
- Fill in your basic billing information (contact information and credit-card number), click submit, and you’re done.
To donate by personal check, follow these three easy steps:
- Make check out to the Maine Writers & Publishers Alliance.
- Write LONGFELLOW BOOKS in the check’s memo line. Don’t forget this step!
- Mail the check to: Maine Writers & Publishers Alliance, Attn: Longfellow Books Donation, 314 Forest Avenue #318, Portland, ME 04101
Send an email to Joshua Bodwell.